Friday, January 15, 2010

Image is everything... or is it?

I'm playing in my normal monthly live tournament tonight, and I'm going a slightly different route to see if it has an effect. As much as I try to play a more standard, basic style of poker, I usually let myself get carried away and start to play too many pots and take too many chances. As much as I'm trying to improve, I have to accept that in all likely hood, it will happen again, so I might as well embrace it, right?

So what am I going to do differently? The answer, change my clothes.

I'm not talking about finding a new lucky T-shirt, or a hoodie to hide behind, I'm talking about a complete style change. You see, normally, I wear jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a ball cap, but always very casual attire. Combined with my style of play and extreme familiarity with most of the players in these tournaments, and I've been quite accurately pigeon-holed into a specific type of poker player.

I'm the type of player that every time I make a bold move, everyone else at the table yells "BLUFF, BLUFF, CALL HIM!". I love it, because I get paid off more often than most on my big hands, but it also means I get busted on bluffs because of my reputation. They know against most people they should fold, but because I am who I am, and nobody likes to get bluffed, they make the call anyways.

My hope is that by changing my appearance, by wearing a nice pair of dockers and a button-up black dress-shirt (a fine Xmas present from my Aunt, btw), is that perhaps subconsciously my opponents may give me more respect than I would normally get, which is very little. Only time will tell, but I know the way a person dresses can have a great impact on the subconscious, we're all very shallow by nature, but will it be enough to overcome a table image I've spent years to build?

No comments: