Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What is the Double Nut Flush Draw?

In poker, especially No-Limit Texas Hold'em, many starting hands have nicknames. Some are funny, some are incredibly lame, some even have more than one nickname. Others may offer some insight into the perceived quality of the hand, and even the mental state of the person coming up with the nickname. Such is the case here.

I (to the best of my knowledge) came up with the nickname of The Double Nut Flush Draw for pocket Aces. I just blurted it out during a tournament I was playing in, when I called an all-in with Aces vs my opponents Kings pre-flop. In this case, I'm better than a 4 to 1 favorite to win the hand, but as I have a history of taking bad beats, it felt more like a coin flip as my opponent grinned, as if he knew he was going to suck out here.

Sure enough, a King mockingly appeared on the flop, and I let out a now signature sigh, accepting the fates the poker gods had dealt me. But wait.... the turn card brought a 3rd diamond on board, and guess what? I had the Ace of diamonds in my hand. The beautiful river card was a 4th diamond (and not one that paired the board to give my opponent a full-house, been there, done that), and my flush won the pot, much to my delight.

My opponent, now standing up to walk away from the table, was visibly upset, and said to me "Wow, you're one lucky S.O.B.", and shook his head in disbelief. I quickly retorted "Hey, you never had a chance, I had the Double Nut Flush Draw". I resisted the urge to remind him I was more than a 4 to 1 favorite when we got all our money in the middle, content to rake in his chips, and let him think about his "bad beat" for a while.

No comments: