Thursday, July 30, 2009

Recent activities

For the first time in many years, I am going through what I have seen many other people go through. Summer comes along, and all of a sudden there's so many other things I would rather be doing then sitting around a poker table losing my money to fish. Mix in the demands of a full-time job, a wife and 2 kids, and I haven't had much time for poker, live or on-line.

In fact, for the past 3 months, I have only played live poker 3 times, at the monthly tournaments that I help run. Hopefully, this trend will change soon, but at least I know my interest in poker is returning, as I have played a few games online, and with significant success.

Last week, with the wife and kids safely asleep, I decide to check on my account at Full Tilt Poker. All my loyal readers (hi Tom) may recall my attempt at getting into the WSOP without contributing a penny of my own money. I started by winning a Freeroll which gave me $15 for 6 hours of poker beating out 2700 players, then I did it again a few weeks later.

After some success playing small buy in 90 player tournies, my account was briefly in excess of $200, but then reality happened. I got over-confident, buying in to more expensive tournaments, and took some of the world's worst beats. When I checked my account just last week, I had $3.85 left.

Just enough to buy in to my favorite 90 player, $3.30 Double-stack, turbo, knock-out tournament. Guess what? I won! $72 added on to my account, and I'm back in business.

Proving that I cannot learn from my mistakes, I immediately buy-in to a $26 tournament, and after another brutally bad beat (my QQ vs 55 preflop, he makes a miracle straight by the turn) my account is quickly depleted significantly.

So I go back to what I know, and win another $3.30 Double-stack, turbo, knock-out tournament. My account now sits over $100 again, and my quest to win a free buy-in to a WSOP event starts all over. This time I have almost a year to get the job done.

Do I play it safe like Joey Knish, and try to slowly grind it out, or do I swing for the fences like Michael McDermott?

No comments: