Monday, May 11, 2009

Ok, it's been a while....

I've been busy, I hated poker and I'm also a brutal slacker. These are the main reasons why I haven't blogged in quite a long time.

Since my last blog, I have not played a single game of poker online. Frustrated by bad beats, I still have around $15 left in the online account, which was at one time at over $200 ($200.15, to be exact). Of course, as it's all money won from Freerolls, it doesn't hurt quite as much to know I've lost $185, but it still hurts.

I have played in several live games since that time, and my luck has indeed changed, without using the Slumpbuster. I won a 19 player tournament, which was the Championship event to a 11 game season that I had otherwise done quite poorly in. Although I lost countless coin flip opportunities for eliminations in this tourney, I never took a bad beat, and actually got to dish one out for a change. I pot-committed myself to call an all-in with A-9 when a very conservative player came over the top. I knew he had me beat, but the pot-odds dictated I had to call here, and I caught a 9 on the flop to outdraw my opponents A-Q.

It had been 4 years to the month since my last win in this annual series, and it felt great to finally get back into the win column of a multi-table event. In the same month, I also won my Keeper-League Hockey Pool, something I had not been successful in once in the first decade I had been in it, another victory a long time in the making, but it made for a fantastic month.

Much more recently, as in just 3 days ago, I played a cash game with up to 7 guys. Start time was scheduled for 7:30, but only 4 of us were able to actually make it on, or near, starting time. So just for fun, we played some old school poker, and had a great time. Games such as Guts and In-Between, Kings and One-eyed Jacks (with the Power-King), Razz, Stud, Draw, Omaha, Pineapple, Crazy Pineapple made for a fun evening, and reminded me that there's more to poker than just Hold'em.

Then the real cash game began. I started off well, despite consistent terrible play all night. Early on I caught a few lucky flops with mediocre hands, and then spent the rest of the night hoping for the same kind of luck. I lost money on the night, and although I had possibly the worst string of cards I've ever had, I can't complain, because it was my play that made me lose money.

This Friday will be the start of a new season in the above mentioned yearly poker series, and I'm hoping that my multi-table tournament  skills are getting better. I had done quite well in the last 6 tournaments of the season, placing at least in the top half in all of them, better than that in most.

2 comments:

Poker Face said...

Hearing about you winning is not as interesting as hearing about your 'badbeats'.... please play more online poker, I have a very boring job and need to read your posts to make me feel good abouts myself!!!

Paul Swinwood said...

LOL, I suspect the bad beats will come back eventually, they always do.