Saturday, March 7, 2009

Time to vent

As the title suggests, I am not happy. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I was playing on-line, but this was ridiculous. From my experiences in many, many freerolls, I have always played by the theory that you don't play the first few hands unless you have a monster. I don't know if there was any way to avoid this, but I just never saw this coming.

I had recently come in 2nd place in yet another $6/90 player Turbo/Doublestack/Knockout tourney. The winning had me reach the $200 barrier for the first time. Earlier today I decided I was going to try and take the next step up, and play in a larger buy-in tourney. I figure that if my only real problem in the smaller buy-in tournies was the few morons playing recklessly, playing in a $26 tourney should be easier, because the larger buy-in should eliminate most of the stupid fish.

I was wrong...

After folding the first hand, I'm dealt As/Kh, and I'm first to act. I raise it up double what a pot-sized bet would be, to make sure I only get serious callers. The bet represents approx. 1/6 of the starting stack. I get one caller from middle position, and the BB calls as well.

The flop is 10-J-Q, all spades.

I have top pair, with the nut flush draw, and a potential Royal Flush draw to boot. BB checks, as do I, believing that even if I don't have the best hand now, I'm probably still the favorite against almost any hand.

The other guy bets, this time almost 1/3 of what we have left, and the BB folds. Not wanting to mess around with my first tournament at a higher buy-in, I decide to push all-in. My opponent calls, and shows 8-3 of spades.

8 f'ing 3 of spades? Seriously? He called a preflop bet with nothing already invested in the pot with this hand? As you may have guessed, the turn and river didn't improve my hand, and that moron was rewarded for making an absolutely stupid play.

My first attempt at playing a higher buy-in level was stopped after 2 hands, and is one I will not soon forget. I expect that kind of stuff in a freeroll, but even in $3 tournies you don't see that kind of stupidity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to remember, if you have someone with a lot of money, then they'll play stupid whether it's a $3 buy-in or a $26 buy-in. The cost won't matter to them.

I actually tested a theory on Full Tilt on Friday. After playing a couple of small tournaments and getting eliminated early by people playing horrible cards, I decided to test to see what the odds are for things like that.

So in the next two tournaments, I would occassionally go all in with horrible cards, or with premium hands. Any time I was favoured to win the hand, I lost. Any time I was favoured to lose the hand, I lost.

Not half the time or most of the time. Every single hand (about 8 to 10 hands). What are the odds that every single favoured hand would go on to lose?

I honestly believe these sites allow bad beats to happen quite often to give bad poker players the thought they are better than they are, and so they'll keep playing and putting money in. If bad poker players kept losing like what would happen in real life, they're less likely to spend more money on the site. Good poker players may get frustrated, but they keep playing because they like the game.

And there are a lot more bad poker players than good ones out there. So they're the ones the sites have to keep happy.